Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Spain's catching up to me.

Well guys, in the midst of all this Spain crazy fun awesome experience-ness, somehow I got sick! Yup, had a really sore throat, lost my voice for a day or two, and now I'm just in the stages of sounding like a man. and trying not to cough all over everyone around me. It's a blast. And you'd think, oh wow, Katie's sick, she must be having SO MANY CRAZY NIGHTS there! See, I wish that were the case, but I haven't even done that much lately! Weird. In the past I have all these nights out until 4am, etc, and this weekend was WAY more relaxed, yet now I'm sick? Cool Spain.
Anyway, let's see, so I'm finally in the swing of things with my classes! I'm in all the classes I wrote about earlier, I ended up having to take the 5-6 literary criticism class because the other one was year long, so decision was made for me! But anyone who knows me knows that I'd rather have decisions made for me because I could be the world's most indecisive person. So yeah, classes are settled, and so far they're going well. I have more homework in my CIEE classes than my classes at the University classes, which is weird. But that's because the university classes are going to pile it all into one exam, which I'm not sure I'm a fan of, but it's nice right now to have less work. My favorite class so far I'd say would be the Comedia: Lope one! Right now we're learning about the theater back in the Lope days/17th century. I really like it, it's so interesting! Geography, somewhat insane. Freshman class, smells like sweaty boy and it's full of freshman shouting over the professor, who just sprints through all of her slides as if she's trying to cram the entire semester into one lecture. My other university class slows things down a bit. Critica Literaria -- professor from Nicaragua, talks slowly babbling on about what makes a good book. Well, at least he comes. First few days he didn't show. Haha, so I've got an interesting lineup. My CIEE classes are alright. One is a journalism class where we write for a magazine. The magazine's topic this semester is television..so OF COURSE my topic is going to have to do with television news. I think I'm going to do something about the news stations here and how they're affected by the Internet, and how that affects the people here, blah blah, to kind of see if it's like the US! Whatevs, I'm pumped!

So, let's see, classes, the weekend. Alright well, like I said, relatively chill weekend. Thursday night we didn't do much because we were going hiking on friday! (When I say we, I usually mean me Ky and Adrienne, just so we're clear. If it's others, I'll specify :) ) So thursday night we went out for ice cream! It's actually a funny story...so we were going to get mascarpone right, but the place CLOSED at eleven! But, we were on a mission for ice cream, so WE WERE going to find it. So we decided to cross the bridge into el centro, because of course everything is there. So we're walking across the bridge, and we all spot a man with ice cream in his hand and FREAK OUT! So we send Ky sprinting after him to ask him where he got the ice cream. If that doesn't scream Americans, I don't know what does. So after she finally catches up to him, he points us towards Rayas, which is just across the bridge. THANK GOD HE DID BECAUSE IT WAS DELICIOUS! I stayed with my gut and got mente chocolate (mint chocolate chip DUH!) So good. Ky got some gingerbread type of flavor and Adrienne got some chocolate with a type of fruitcake in it? Interesting, but pretty good. So we all went home and went to bed early, because Friday we woke up early to go on a hike with CIEE! I can't tell you where we went, because I have no idea of the name of it, but it was great! It was around two hours away from Sevilla. We left around 9, got there around 11, stopped in a little town to have coffee first. Adrienne, Ky, and I, skipped the coffee idea (I know, me? Shocking) but we were TRUE hikers and bought NUTS! Yeahhh! Anyway, so we loaded up on those and started hiking around 11:30. Hiking here is different though! It wasn't like a mountain. It was more through a town and then all around the woods area. It was cool though! They stopped us a bunch of times to look at different types of nature and plants, which was pretty cool! We saw a bunch of different plants, I remember the one that was oregano! COOL right! Snapped a few good pics along the way.

Gotta start with the most important, the NUTS. Our fuel!





Hike it out.


Oregano!


Can't remember why we took a picture with this tree bark, there was some significance. But cute pic huh? ;)


HAD TO POST THIS..PINE CONE FOR MAINE! I miss it.

So we hiked all morning and then stopped around two to all chow on our bocadillos (sandwiches) our host moms made for us! Delicious! Around 2:30, we got hiking again and walked until about four, and then headed home! It was a long day but SO worth it! So we finally made it back to Sevilla around 6, and all were really tired so we just had relaxing nights at home! I may have began watching The Blind Side on a site that lets you watch movies, but I fell asleep pretty close to the beginning.

Saturday, let me think. I went running in the morning with Daysy, and it was good to see her because I hadn't in a while! She and some others from our program went to Morocco last weekend! They all had a blast and loved it! I really hope I get to go sometime, hopefully when Dma (my grandma for those who don't know) visits me in April, we'll go for a day! But anyway, we had a nice run, and then I went home, had lunch with the family, and then was GOING to go do some homework with Ky and Daysy at the river (Adrienne was in Cordoba all day), but it started raining, so we went into a café for a bit! Then when it passed, Ky and I did some shopping. She needed new headphones and I bought a book to read in my spare time! I got the book In My Sister's Shoes. No, not the same as In Her Shoes the movie. More Raising Helen-like. Anyway, so that's for my free time! So we walked around and shopped that afternoon/night, and then went home for dinner.

Snapped this picture during our walk. In the center of the city. Ky and I just kept being in awe of how beautiful this place is!



It started raining after dinner, but we were determined again to get ice cream, so we went to a place called Charlotte, right near our houses, and once again, mente chocolate! :)
Sunday was such a gorgeous day! I got up, went for my run, did the family lunch thing, and then met Adrienne and Ky by the river and did homework. Let me just show you how beautiful of a day it was!


Is this place not amazinggg? Ahh. Okay so after we hung out and got work done, we went back to the same church we tried out a few weeks ago! Still the same as ever, smoke machines, multicolor lights, all the works! It was good though, Adrienne and I recognized a lot of the songs we sang! Same songs as we sing in church back home, just in Spanish. So cool. And another pretty good lesson on Joshua 1:1-7. Can't remember it all now, but it was good!
After that, headed home to get some rest for the week ahead! Like I said, probably the most chill weekend ever and yet I'm sick? Weird! Could be because it was really rainy last week..but still. So weird. Don't understand it.

Anyway, this week has been good so far! Just back into my normal classes routine. Mondays and Wednesdays continue to be crazy, and Tuesdays and Thursdays are more chill, FRIDAYS OFF! :) But I'm SO excited because we have a four day weekend this weekend..and so we're leaving Friday for MADRID and coming back MONDAY! So excited. It's me, Adrienne, Ky, Daysy, and another Daisy, and my two other friends Brittany and Brittany will be there too! I'm so excited. We're going to meet Andi Lau, who also goes to Gordon and is studying there, to show us around and hang out! I'm so pumped, not only because it's MADRID but also because I heard they have LEGIT DUNKIN DONUTS' there! I will DIE for a medium french vanilla iced coffee skim milk two sugarsssss PLEASE! Ahh, I hope I hope! So this week so far has been good. Not too much work, just classes, and trying to get everything ready for the weekend! Tuesday was also Ky's 20th birthday so we had to get some ice cream for that as well! :) So that was fun! But yeah, not much else going on. I'm SURE after this weekend I'll have tons to post about and tons of new pictures for you! For now, just know I'm working on getting rid of this stupid cough and gaining a voice back! Haha, but that's about all I have for now! Thanks for reading. Pray for our safe travels to and from Madrid! Can't wait to tell you all about it!
Hasta luego :)

No comments:

Post a Comment