Sunday, February 13, 2011

Oh, just livin' la vida loca

Oh my gosh so much to talk about. Well, for starters, as you can probably imagine, last week was EXTREMELY hectic! Trying to figure out what classes to take was stressful, but I know now what I'm taking, and I think it's going to be a SOLID semester! So, my lineup is as follows:
The classes I'm taking at my program place, CIEE are:
- Monday-Wednesday 9:00-10:35am- Editorial Projects in Context (basically, its a journalism seminar where we work on stories for the CIEE magazine, mas + menos! I'm excited because I think I'll meet some cool people and get to write awesome stories!)
- Monday-Wednesday 7:00-8:35pm- Mass Communication and Society in Spain

At the University
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 1-2pm- Geography of the Iberian Peninsula
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 2-3pm- Comedia: Lope (literature class..Lope de Vega, famous playwright!)

AND CHOOSING BETWEEN two literary criticism classes, one would be Monday through Thursday 5-6, and the other Monday through Wednesday 12-1! Still deciding that, but that's what my semester will look like. Notice no class on fridays! :) :) SO PUMPED! Yeah, so I like those classes, nice professors that I can understand for the most part, all are willing to give early exams so I can come back June 10th! Gooood stufff.

So after a week of nothing but stress, I deserved a fun weekend right! Well, I definitely had one. First off, my host mother's nephew is here visiting for ten days! His name is Javi, and he's studying in Budapest this semester! He came back for a break to visit! So thursday night we went out with him and a few of his friends to a few bars and then a club! It was really fun, and I talked a lot to him in Spanish but he also is REALLY good at english too, so its good to be able to talk both!

Of course, we all didn't get home until about 4 in the morning, which made Friday morning pretty interesting. Adrienne, Ky, and I signed up to go on a free trip to the Ruinas Italicas, which are some old roman ruins just outside Sevilla. Had to be at the University at ten, so you can imagine our sleep level was a little rough. We went on a guided tour of the place though which was really cool! We saw like what used to be houses and such. The best and sickest part was the theater place where they would have like gladiator matches! It was huge and so cool. I can't say I payed attention to the history part much, so if you want to know more, just look it up. But I've got PICTURES!




I took a ton of pictures of all the ruins, I have a bunch more if you want to see. But the best pictures were the ones we took in the theater, clearly. Because we turned into gladiators.


We call this one "we are the world."


WE HAD TO DO IT.


Don't fight thisssss.

Anyway, so that was Saturday morning, and then we got back before lunchtime. I went home for lunch, went for a run, and then Adrienne and I went out to the river and hung out for the afternoon there. We met some friends there too! Everyone does that here, the cool thing is just to go hang by the river. It's pretty much gorgeous, and so relaxing. After that, we hit up a cafe, and then went home. Since we had had somewhat of a crazy night the night before, that night was a little more chill. I had dinner at home, then Adrienne, Ky, and I went and got ice cream from a Mascarpone place right by us! OH MY GOD SO GOOD. I got Tiramisu. Holy crap I loved it. We were all exhausted at that point, so we called it a night early. I went home, and Adrienne had taught me about ch131.com, a site where you can watch US movies and TV shows, so why wouldn't I watch Yes Man in bed? I was LOVING it!

Saturday morning I woke up pretty early, ran, and then Javi, and I went and hung out in the sun by the river! Adrienne met up with us there too. It was awesome. Less people there in the morning, so less people watching, but more quiet and relaxing. Either way, it's always nice there.


Then in the afternoon, Ky needed a new camera because hers broke during the Ruinas Italicas visit, so we went to Corte Ingles, aka Target, and some other stores around El Centro. My big purchase at Corte Ingles is what I'm now obsessed with. Adrienne and I tried these the other day and I am now in love.

Don't ask how, don't ask why. I just need these all the time. If you haven't tried them, PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND EAT ONE. Can't believe I lived this long without them.

Anyway, so we shopped and shopped. In the midst of this shopping though we could have found the coolest thing EVER! Okay not the coolest thing ever but a pretty cool place. It was a bookstore but it had once been like a theater! It was really cool and we found it SO randomly! Check it out!



SICK.

So after that, went home, had some dinner, then Javi, Ky, and I went out for a bit. We met up with some other people, went to a few bars, and just kind of bopped around Sevilla. I was still somewhat tired, so we didn't do anything too crazy or stay out too late (aka, we got home at like 3am...in Spain, that's weak) but it was a fun night as always!

This morning I slept in, got up, went for my run across Sevilla, but oh wait, so did about a million other people. Aka, there was like a marathon that happened today all through Sevilla! It was cool, I have no idea what it was for, but there was a ton of people, so it was kind of cool to run by them haha! Oh definitely have to mention that for lunch today Maribel made probably the best fish ever. Don't know what kind it was, all I remember her saying was pescado and it had a lemon flavor but WOW, loved it. Had to throw that in. Anyway, so then for the afternoon, Ky, Adrienne and I got together and made some TRAVEL PLANS! We haven't booked JUST yet, I think that's tomorrow, but basically our plans are as follows:

Madrid- Feb 25th-28th
Cádiz- March 5th
Barcelona- March 18th-March 20th

Oh, and there WILL be more traveling. But this is our start! Conquering Spain, one city at a time. We REALLY want to see a soccer game when in Madrid, so we're definitely going to see if that can happen! So much to do and so much to see but I'm SO excited about it all! :)

Wow, just realized I started writing this an hour ago. Yeah I take a few breaks but still, probably way longer than it needed to be. And I have to get up for class in about seven hours. So, I'd say it's definitely time for me to hit the hay. I'll keep you posted on how my classes go this week, and of course how all the other FUN stuff goes! Thanks for reading, and please try a Werthers soft chew.

Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment